- Russian is an East Slavic language, which is official in Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan. It is also widely spoken throughout Eastern Europe, the Baltic states, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
- It is the most widely spoken of the Slavic languages and the largest native language in Europe, total speakers are 250 millions with 154 million speakers in Russia, Ukraine and Belarus. Russian is the eighth most spoken language in the world by number of native speakers and the seventh by total number of speakers.
- The language is one of the six official languages of the United Nations.
- Russian is also the third most widespread language on the Internet after English and German, respectively
In recent times, Russia has constantly been in the process of positioning itself as a major economic force. Russia is trying to recuperate its position as a geopolitical leader along with the USA, the EU, and other powers.
Russia is currently a member of G20, the European Council, The United Nations, UNESCO and the World Trade Organization. This has made Russian a language that is commonly used in diplomatic exchanges.
- Job opportunity:
- Russia has experienced economic boom in the country at the beginning of the millennium. As a consequence, many companies are looking for qualified international workers who know the Russian language. Companies are in an increasing need of people who master both English and Russian to become their translators.
- Travelling and leisure
- History and culture