Established in 1882 at Lahore, the UNIVERSITY OF THE PUNJAB is the largest and the oldest seat of higher learning in Pakistan. It was the first to be established in the sub-continent in Muslim majority area. The fact that three Nobel laureates are from this University speaks volumes for its academic and research excellence.
The University comprises of 4 Campuses, 13 Faculties, 9 constituent colleges, over 63 Departments, Centres, Institutes, and 500+ affiliated colleges. It has over 620 permanent faculty members involved in teaching/research and over 30,000 on campus students. Annually there are about 350 exams for 450000 students.
The Punjab University ORIENTAL COLLEGE was established in 1870. At that time in addition to oriental learning, western knowledge was also imparted. Classical languages - Arabic, Persian and Sanskrit - and oriental indigenous languages - Urdu, Hindi, Punjabi and Pashto - were taught. Urdu, Hindi and Punjabi research departments were established in 1928. In addition to existing classes in Persian and Urdu, new classes in Asian and European languages like Spanish, French, German, Russian, Italian, Turkish, Hindi, Japanese, Kashmiri and Urdu for foreigners were introduced over the years to make Oriental college the premier institution for linguistic research in Pakistan.
Vice-Chancellor, University of the Punjab: Prof. Dr. Mujahid Kamran
Registrar, University of the Punjab: Prof. Dr. Muhammad Naeem Khan
In/charge, Dr. Maria Maldonado
Principal, Oriental College: Prof. Dr. Mazhar Saleem
Head, Department of German: Aamir Rafique
Address: P.O. Box No. 54590. Lahore, Pakistan.
Tel.: +92-42-923-1099 (Quaid-e-Azam Campus)
+92-42-921-1612 (Allama Iqbal Campus)
e-Mail : firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com